Friday, March 23, 2007

politics



Not my favorite topic of conversation. In fact, it's one of my least favorites. I rarely talk politics, and I think most of that is the result of living in a constant state of political intimidation. I tend to vote conservatively. I'm pretty "American" when it comes to things like taxes, abortion, capital punishment, minimum wage and even gun control. That being said, I don't worship George Bush, even though I am registered a republican, and I don't know how I feel about the war. I can't get enough square facts on either side to make an informed decision.

I decided to register republican because that party most closely holds to the principals and convictions I carry. Well, as closely as a political party can. I don't believe in legislating morality, but I do believe that if something comes to a vote I am responsible to vote according to my conscience. And even if there are no major issues in the polls, I believe I should vote to honor the generations of women who suffered so much to give me that right. I'm not a party puppet, and detest reaction and extremes - whatever your party.

I live in what has been deemed one of the most progressively liberal cities in the US. My downtown community is one huge mish-mash of everything you would expect in a progressively liberal city, with a transit mall for our award winning transit system, a downtown trolley, a huge university, art schools, galleries, art and history museums and performing arts centers. We even have Forest Park, an area described by Wikipedia as "a municipal and public park, located west of downtown Portland, Oregon. It is the largest natural urban forest reserve in the U.S. The park is 5,000 acres (20.23 km²) with 4,873 acres (19.72 km²) of second and old growth forest, threaded by more than 70 miles (112 km) of recreational trails. Forest Park stretches for over eight miles (13 km) on hillsides overlooking the Willamette River."

Not that any of those are bad things. I use them and enjoy them. I just resent the excessive waste and taxation that comes with "liberal" government. I'm just not a fan of an entity that operates with no accountability telling me that I should give them more and more of my income in taxes so that they can decide what things are best for me. I also have a hard time with what I see as reaction and over-reaction to problems and injustice. I wish people used their brains as much as their adrenaline when looking at social and political issues.

Needless to say, in my downtown world and in my travel-industry, downtown job that doesn't require drug testing (I'm sure we'd lose much of our staff if we did!), I am not only far outnumbered, I would be subject to ridicule and harassment if it were clear how I lean politically. In the three years I've worked there I have had to hear almost daily slander against principals that I embrace, both locally and nationally, and even had some of my co-workers talk trash about the "damn right-wing Christians" and "stupid God-lovers". I am a persecuted minority, and I don't say that jokingly. It is what it is, and I've learned to live with it.

This is why I found this article in the Willamette Week (a local alternative newspaper) so refreshing. It was about an anti-war protest that took place a mere dozen yards from my living room and drew 15,000 people to the park behind my building (not the same park noted above). I personally hate protests, maybe because this town is glutted with them. I think they're a waste of community resources, and the big ones always get infiltrated by punk, wanna-be anarchists who try to start riots later. There were a dozen arrested after this one. It's not going to change any one's mind or any one's vote. It's a waste of time and energy, and makes people feel like they're doing something when they aren't.

There are a few "bad words" in the piece, so don't read it out loud to your kids. But I was grateful for the honesty and encourage you to read it. If you want a real feel for Portland read the comments too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Intellect and heart; what a great combination He is working in your life.

Your blog note said so much I would love to comment on and I hope for the time and place.

Thank you for your thoughts and your heart.

Ken

Globegirl said...

Hi Ken! Thank you for stopping by. :-) Please feel free to comment on my blog any time you'd like. I love feedback!