Friday, November 20, 2009

Lately


There's been lots going on lately here in the City of Roses. I don't know how it is I manage to stay so busy. I thought being unemployed would mean lots of sitting around, but that's just not been the case.

I guess technically I'm not completely unemployed. I've been doing odd jobs for friends, family, and volunteering  for Father's House (my church) and LivingStonesPDX (aka: Portland International House of Prayer), and even had a proper office temp job last week for a few days. The money isn't great, but I'm happy that I can at least be a help and a blessing to the people I love.

I really didn't think I'd still be home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I was looking forward to my first Bonfire Night, Thanksgiving and Christmas in the UK, but I guess I get to do that next year. I'm looking forward to continuing to establish new traditions in my new life, but that's not to say that I am not glad to have this time with friends and family. I've spent Christmas eve with my friend Rachael and her daughter for the past 10 years, and part of me was pretty sad to think of missing that this year. Maybe that will buy me enough time to talk them into coming to London next year.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I would like to share the things that I'm enjoying here at home...

 Time with family
 Time with friends
 Being around to see God answer some very old prayers for Portland
 Singing with Grammy from her favorite hymnal
 Getting to spend another autumn in Portland (it's SO beautiful!)
 Reconnecting with old friends and family I haven't seen in years and years
 Making shiny new friendships that I know will be around for a long time
 Honing my cooking skills so I'll be ready for all the entertaining I plan to do when I finally get back to England.

I'm also incredibly grateful to my Dad, who fixed my little pink computer and tarted it out with a new hard drive that's twice as big as the old one, and to my cousins Jon & Julia who loaned me one of their old MacBooks. I'm a blessed little lady!

No comments: