Friday, October 15, 2010

Six

Today my blog is six years old. I could wax philosophical about how much I've changed and grown in those six years, and there would be plenty to say. But since blogging is often deemed as a platform for expressing self-absorption I thought I'd blog about someone else on this significant blog-occasion. And that someone else is my friend Jov.

Jov and I have been friends for about a decade. In that time we've both changed incredibly and had some pretty significant life experiences. But through it all I've had the amazing privilege of walking that part of life with him as my brother and one of my best friends on the planet.

I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like him. He's incredibly gifted, and worked hard to hone his gifts. He's an amazing musician, and I've been telling him for years he's going to be a rock star, and it's only a matter of time. But he's so much more than a musician. He's an artist, he's creative and he's uniquely wise. He's also really humble. He knows he has something special within him, but somehow he thinks he's nothing special and knows his own human weakness. He inspires me. Oh, and he's hilarious. I have the stupidest fun when we hang out. (You should hear the song we wrote before I moved. The first line is "The bumpkin struggle's got a hold on me")

Lately Jov's been really focused on his music, which he's performing under the name Novosti. He's put out an album called This Moment that frankly is amazing. He's just finished his first video for his song Junebug (with the incredibly talented Alexander Jorgensen), and I seriously choked up watching it because it represents so many years of Jov's life, blood, sweat and tears, and to see it finally happening...well it makes me feel like a proud sister that just became an auntie again!

So go listen to (and buy, and tell other people to buy) his music, go watch his video! This guy is the real deal - and I'm so proud to call him my brother.

No comments: