Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Life

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue".

I think most people have probably heard this line from Proverbs 18, even if they didn't grow up in church. It's one of those universal bits of wisdom that reveals itself in various ways. One of the ways it has always shone to me is in the power of life that comes from encouragement.

Merriam Webster's online dictionary  gives one description of the word encouragement as "something that makes someone more determined, hopeful, or confident, something that makes someone more likely to do something". I like this description because it is one of my core beliefs that my words have the power to make someone "more determined, hopeful and confident" and that my words have the power to "make someone more likely to do something" and follow their dreams.

Honestly, I don't think I'm anyone extra special, or that my words are any more powerful than anyone else's. But I do know that not everyone gets that they have the opportunity to bring life to the people around them with something as simple as an encouraging word. The fact that I do get that means that I exercise that power where some others may not.

If you are in my life for any length of time you will be on the receiving end of the encouragement I try to bring to those around me. If there's something about you that I think is beautiful, inspiring, admirable or awe-inspiring, it's only a matter of time before I end up telling you. I also love easily. Not to say I 'fall in love' easily, (that's a different topic for another day!) just that I don't have an issue telling someone I have genuine affection for them. Again, not in a romantic sense, but that doesn't mean it isn't love and that they don't need to hear it. 

I'm openhearted by nature, and sometimes I forget that not everyone knows what to do with that. Sometimes I'm misunderstood and I've even had a few guys over the years think I was hitting on them, but in spite of that I keep speaking up. There's a saying that asks why we wait to give people flowers until their funeral. I'd rather give flowers now - to have you know that someone sees something in you, believes in you and is inspired by the beauty and essence that only you can bring to the world around you. I long to bring a spark that helps kindle your belief in yourself and makes you "more likely to do something" that you were created to do. If I know you and love you, I want to contribute to the framework that supports your dreams. I think words have the power to do that.

So please forgive me if I sometimes embarrass you or put you on the spot by telling you I love your courage, loyalty, beauty, creativity, your smile or some other aspect of who you are. I just want to give back a little of the life that particular thing about you gives to me. I just want you to have some flowers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved this! miss you! mums