Friday, September 25, 2009

writing


I've been quite challenged this year to do more writing. I have always loved writing, and have wanted to focus on it much more in past few years. I even applied for a writing fellowship at Stanford, but I went to England instead, and then shortly thereafter found out I didn't make the final cut. I was not actually discouraged by that news, but instead it was just one more thing that encouraged me to keep moving toward writing more and honing my skill.

To be honest, I haven't been quite sure what that involved until recently. I thought about creative writing courses but I don't think my life's in a state where that is practical right now. So now that I find myself with a bit of time on my hands (not a ton, but a bit more than I used to) I am working on my writing. I am trying to blog more and I've started the novel that's been in my head for the past 6 or so years. I've also begun one or two small projects that for now will remain under the radar until I feel comfortable about letting people see them.

A few days ago I found myself on the streetcar downtown and realized that the start of the sunset I was seeing would be amazing if I could get to the aerial tram at the other end of the streetcar line. So I did. I'm rather uncomfortable with heights, but (as the photo clearly demonstrates) some times we have to push through our fears to fully realize something's beautiful potential. That pretty much sums up how I feel about my writing. I guess we'll see soon enough if it was worth it.

No comments: