Friday, April 16, 2010

Here

18 days into my new life as a proper expat, and so far so good. There continue to be adjustments as I settle back in here, but nothing insane. I'm back to toning down my "American-ness" and embracing the things that are different and unique about being here. I do wish I could've packed everyone up from home and brought them along, but my excess luggage was expensive enough!

It's been great going back into the London office (the picture is the view from our workspace. Good, eh?). I love the energy of a bustling city, and just getting off the train at Paddington makes me feel like smiling. It feels like such a privilege to be able to be in a city that has held such a significant place in human history for a couple thousand years! I really do love every crowded, smelly, busy and congested trip in. This is of course made all the more enjoyable by the presence of Charlotte, Carla, Wardy, Andrea, Izzy and the others that I have (and will be) seeing on my "London" days.

My house and housemates have been lovely to get to know as well. I live with three lovely ladies who genuinely care about each other and me! As for my room, I still only have a mattress on the floor and a closet I made out of an old bunk bed ladder and an old shelf/cupboard thing. I've got all but a storage tub, a plastic table (my "desk") and my clothes drying rack from where people were keeping it for me while I was in Portland. I can't tell you how good it is to finally have my room in my house after 13 months of living out of suitcases - in spite of having no furniture to fill it. But all that will come in time. I must say though that I've been the blessed recipient of incredible hospitality since March of last year, and it's rekindled my enjoyment giving hospitality by reminding me of what a blessing it can truly be.

Anyway, I'm rambling. All that to say I'm here and I'm glad of it!

No comments: